How To Keep Kids & Pets Safe During Pest Control Treatments
Due to their natures and smaller builds, children and pets are more vulnerable during pest control treatments – and afterwards too. Pets love to sniff around, especially when there are new and exciting smells, and little kids tend to grab anything they can possibly get their hands on. This is why you need to keep an extremely close eye on them.
You need to ensure that your pets don’t lick anything that could harm them, and that your children don’t touch the bait boxes or other pest control measures that have been put in place.
If you want to ensure you keep your little ones and furry friends safe when treating your home for pests, these tips can help.
Types of Pesticides Used in Pest Control
Before discussing our top tips for keeping your little ones and pets safe, it’s important to educate yourself on the types of pesticides that may be used by pest control specialists on your property.
Insecticides are pretty self-explanatory – they’re a type of pesticide used to exterminate and prevent an insect infestation in your home.
Insecticides are particularly useful at deterring insects because they target the nerve endings that most bugs use to navigate. Mammals are protected from insecticides because of their thick skin and layer of body fat. The fat in our bodies dissolves any chemicals involved in creating an insecticide. The worst-case scenario for your kids or pets, should they come into contact with an insecticide, is mild skin irritation. It is however recommended that you let any area sprayed with insecticides dry out properly before kids or pets have access.
Like insecticides, the key here is in the name. Rodenticides are particularly useful against bigger pesky rodents such as mice, rats, and other mammals. For this reason, it’s essential that you keep your children and pets as far away from an area treated with rodenticides. Normally, these types of pesticides are designed to affect larger mammals like dogs and humans less, but the danger remains.
A large amount of rodenticide would have to be consumed to properly poison a larger mammal. If consumed, keep an eye out for bright red or blue saliva as this could be an indication of rodenticide poisoning.
If your child or pet does happen to come into contact with a rodenticide, either through consumption or skin contact, immediately wash the affected area with soap and water or rinse their mouth out as soon as possible. If you’re worried about poisoning, be sure to call a healthcare professional or head to the emergency room or vet.
How to Prepare Your Home for Pest Control Treatment
After you’ve booked an appointment with pest control treatment specialists there are a few precautions you should take in your home. By implementing the following tips, you are more than likely to guard your children and pets against potential poisoning or harm:
- Prepare your treatment area by removing all pet bedding, toys, food dishes, and anything else that your pets might pick up with their mouths.
- Do the same to your children’s rooms by removing any bedding, toys, and playpens. Anything that your kids might pick up or chew should be kept away from pest control specialists.
- Store all food, both for your children and your pets (and yourself), away from the treatment area. Normally, cabinets and fridges are also sprayed down as they are good breeding grounds for pests, so store your food elsewhere.
- Where possible, place all terrariums, aquariums, and other animal cages away from the treatment area. You’ll want to keep these clean and safe at all costs.
- When the treatment is ongoing, as well as after the treatment is complete, allow the pesticides adequate time to dry. Keep your children and pets away from the treatment area. It’s a good idea to let them visit friends, family, or the park while the treatment is underway, as this completely removes them from harm. Once the spray has dried, the area will be safe to re-inhabit.
Twin-Boro has a fantastic integrated pest management approach whereby the treatment is both effective and environmentally friendly. This makes it a safer option for your family – both two legged and four!
For more information on our home protection plan and all our other home and yard plans, contact us today.